SONOMA, Calif. – Hugh Plumb (Unionville, Penn.) captured the pole position in the GTS Round 16 Qualifying session. Sixteen-year-old Owasso, Okla. resident Nate Stacy captured the second position, while Plumb teammate and Allendale, NJ driver Brett Sandberg and Huntsville, Ontario resident Martin Barkey took the second row of the grid in P3 and P4 respectively.
Plumb set the pace in his 20th lap of the session with a one minute, 41.796-second effort at 84.835 mph behind the wheel of the No. 12 ANSA Motorsports KTM X-Box GT4. This is Plumb’s second entry and first pole of the season. Plumb explained, “We made a tire pressure adjustment about halfway through the session. We had been trying to find the sweet spot on the car all weekend. We had a huge push in the start of qualifying. We knew we were in a decent position early but the car came together later in the session.” He continued, “I want to thank the ANSA guys for giving me the opportunity at the last minute. I hope we can keep it out front for the race. I have done well here at Sonoma Raceway over the years. I was actually here in World Challenge many years ago. I just love the place. I’m so happy to be back in World Challenge too. It has a classy group of people and it’s very well run.” Of his GT4-classed KTM X-Bow, Plumb remarked, “It’s fun driving the KTM X-Bow. It’s much different than the GT-type cars and any type of Touring Car. These guys have done an amazing job putting together a real race car. I would love to be invited back to run the X-Bow again in the future. I love the sprint racing and want to come back to the World Challenge paddock. I’m open for any kind of conversations at this point.”
The No. 14 Roush Performance Road Racing Ford Boss 302 driven by Stacy managed a 1:41.963-second effort at 84.207 mph to capture the second spot on the grid. Behind teammate Plumb, Sandberg’s P3 was the result of a 1:42.058-second effort trapping at 84.129 mph in the No. 13 ANSA Motorsports KTM X-Bow GT4. Similarly, P4 was captured in a KTM X-Bow GT4 by Mantella Autosports driver Martin Barkey in the No. 80 entry.
With the first four rows on the grid fielding qualifiers within one-second of the top spot, the first GTS race of the highly-contested weekend double-event Round 16 starts at 4:50 pm PDT Saturday. Live streaming of the race will be available at MotorTrendOnDemand.com/watch-live, while live timing can be viewed at LiveTiming.net/PWC/. All links are available from the event page at World-Challenge.com.
Sonoma, CA – Results from Saturday, Sep 17, 2016 Pirelli World Challenge Championship GTS Rd 16 Qualifying, part of the Grand Prix at Sonoma Raceway Presented by Cadillac.
Pos. PIC, Class, Name, Hometown, Car, Fast Time
1. 1, GTS, Hugh Plumb, Unionville PA, KTM XBow GT4, 1:41.796
2. 2, GTS, Nate Stacy, Owasso OK, Ford Boss 302, 1:41.963
3. 3, GTS, Brett Sandberg, Allendale NJ, KTM XBow GT4, 1:42.058
4. 4, GTS, Martin Barkey, Huntsville QC, KTM XBow GT4, 1:42.126
5. 5, GTS, Anthony Mantella, Toronto ON, KTM XBow GT4, 1:42.132
6. 6, GTS, Parker Chase, New Braunfels TX, Ginetta GT4, 1:42.180
7. 7, GTS, Scott Heckert, Ridgefield CT, SIN R1 GT4, 1:42.280
8. 8, GTS, Jeff Courtney, Milwaukee WI, MASERATI GranTurismo MC Trofeo, 1:42.667
9. 9, GTS, Mark Klenin, Lone Tree CO, MASERATI GranTurismo MC Trofeo, 1:42.925
10. 10, GTS, Kyle Marcelli, Barrie ON, Chevrolet Camaro, 1:42.951
11. 11, GTS, George Kurtz, Scottsdale AZ, Aston Martin Vantage GT4, 1:43.139
12. 12, GTS, Kevin Marshall, Incline Village NV, Lotus GT4, 1:43.208
13. 13, GTS, Tony Gaples, Libertyville IL, Chevrolet Camaro, 1:43.291
14. 14, GTS, Harry Gottsacker, San Antonio TX, Ginetta GT4, 1:43.485
15. 15, GTS, Jason Alexandridis/Derek DeBoer, Novato CA/Novato CA, Aston Martin Vantage GT4, 1:43.627
16. 16, GTS, Bill Ziegler, Ponte Verdra FL, KTM XBow GT4, 1:43.803
17. 17, GTS, Greg Milzcik, Littleton CO, Aston Martin Vantage GT4, 59:59.999