Lakeville, Conn. – Alvaro Parente, Martin Fuentes and Alec Udell won in GT, GTA and GT Cup, respectively at the Pirelli World Challenge Grand Prix of Lime Rock presented by Bentley on Saturday. It was Round 11 of the season for GT and GTA and Round 10 for GT Cup. Weather conditions saw scattered clouds and 89 degree temperatures at the race start.
From the perfect rolling start, Parente, in the No. 9 K-PAX Racing Pfaff/McLaren Toronto McLaren 650S, took the lead from the pole ahead of Patrick Long, in the No. 58 Wright Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 R, and Johnny O’Connell, in the No. 3 Cadillac Racing ATS-V.R.
In GTA, Fuentes, driving the No. 07 Scuderia Corsa Hublot Underarmour Ferrari 458 Italia, led the opening lap over Frankie Montecalvo, in the No. 66 DIME Racing Dime R&D Mercedes AMG SLS GT3.
In GT Cup, it was Sloan Urry, in the No. 22 TruSpeed Autosport Security National Mortgage/Avasis Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, out front after the first lap ahead of Udell, in the No. 17 GMG Porsche 911 GT3 Cup.
On lap three it was three-wide in GT for fourth at turn one, with Ryan Eversley, in the No. 43 RealTime Racing Acura/HPD/Red Line Oil/RealTime Acura TLX-GT, holding the spot ahead of Kyle Marcelli, in the No. 2, CRP Racing Audi R8, and JD Davison, in the No. 33 AE Replay XD Nissan GT Academy Nissan GTR GT3. Davison earned the Optima Batteries Best Start Award for gaining five positions on the first lap.
At the 10-minute mark of the race, Parente led Long by 1.2 seconds, with another 1.8 seconds back to O’Connell in third, who had a slight margin on Eversley and Marcelli.
In GTA, Fuentes led Michael Schein, in the No. 16 Wright Motorsports Porsche GT3-R, by 1.7 seconds – Schein had Montecalvo who slotted back into third.
In GT Cup, Urry led Udell by .608 seconds as those two drivers stretched a gap over their fellow GT Cup competitors.
On lap 16, Eversley had closed the gap on O’Connell and challenged the Cadillac for position. Up front, Parente’s lead was down to just .565 seconds as the leaders worked through traffic. As the leaders went through the GT Cup field, Udell was able to pass Urry for the class lead, scoring the Cadillac Move of the Race Award.
In addition, Adderly Fong, in the No. 88 Bentley Team Absolute Bentley Continental GT3, passed Bryan Heitkotter, in the No. 05 AE Replay XD Nissan GT Academy Always Evolving/Replay XD/Nissan Nismo GT3 GT-R, for seventh on lap 20.
Mid-way through the race O’Connell suffered a flat right-rear tire, dropping him down the order, and promoting Eversley to third, Marcelli to fourth and Davison to fifth while Parente had built a small gap over Long for the lead.
In GTA, Fuentes continued to lead, while Udell had stretched his GT Cup lead by 2.784 seconds.
With 12 minutes to go, Parente’s lead held steady at .858 seconds, while most of the GT action saw Eversley fighting Marcelli off for third, while Davison was holding off Fong for the fifth position. Fuentues continued to lead in GTA, while Udell’s lead stretched to 4.278 seconds over Urry in the GT Cup class.
Marcelli eventually got past Eversley in the late stages of the race in the No. 2 Audi, winning the Motortrendondemand.com Clean Pass of the Race.
With the checkered flag out, Parente would take his second GT win in as many days, with Long, Marcelli, Eversley and Davison completing the top five. Davison would also win the VP Racing Fuels Hard Charger Award for gaining seven positions during the race.
In GTA, Fuentes would take the win ahead of Schein and Montecalvo.
Udell took top honors in GT Cup, followed by Urry and Corey Fergus, in the No. 00 Motorsports Promo Byers Porsche, US LED, Motul Porsche 911 GT Cup.
Results are provisional until posted final. GT action from Lime Rock Park will air on CBS Sports Network Thursday June 9 at 8 p.m. Eastern.
Pirelli World Challenge next heads to Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin and the famed Road America, June 23-26.
“It’s been a fantastic weekend. I’m happy we did well, it’s a great weekend for us. A big thanks to K-PAX and McLaren, it’s great moment for all of us.”
“We are happy to pull this off. It was one of the hardest races of my life. I’m always pushing. Thank you to Scuderia Corsa and everyone involved in the win.”
“It’s been a hot one here at Lime Rock. I really have to give it to the guys at GMG though. We compromised bit on the setup yesterday expecting rain and it didn’t pan out like we anticipated. Today we had a full dry setup and it worked well. I was lucky to get around Sloan in the GT traffic. Once again I had a great race car, the car was awesome at the end of the race and stayed consistent the whole way through.”
Lakeville, Conn. – Results from Saturday, May 28, 2016 Pirelli World Challenge Championship GT-GTA Race Round 11/GT Cup Race Round 10 Round, part of the Lime Rock GP Presented by Bentley. Results shown by driver position, place in class, class, name, hometown, car and number of laps completed. All results are provisional until final.
Pos. PIC, Class, Name, Hometown, Car, Laps
1. 1, GT, Alvaro Parente, Porto Portugal, McLaren 650S GT3, 56
2. 2, GT, Patrick Long, Manhattan Beach CA, Porsche 911 GT3 R, 56
3. 3, GT, Kyle Marcelli, Barrie ON, Audi R8 LMS GT3, 56
4. 4, GT, Ryan Eversley, Atlanta GA, Acura TLX-GT, 56
5. 5, GT, JD Davison, Denver CO, Nissan GTR GT3, 56
6. 6, GT, Adderly Fong, Hong Kong, Bentley Continental GT3, 56
7. 7, GT, Bryan Heitkotter, Fresno CA, Nissan GTR GT3, 56
8. 8, GT, Austin Cindric, Charlotte NC, McLaren 650S GT3, 56
9. 9, GT, Jon Fogarty, Bend OR, McLaren 650S GT3, 56
10. 10, GT, Andrew Davis, Athens GA, Porsche 911 GT3 R, 56
11. 11, GT, Colin Thompson, Doylestown PA, McLaren 650S GT3, 56
12. 1, GTA, Martin Fuentes, Mexico City Mexico, Ferrari 458 Italia GT3, 56
13. 13, GT, James Sofronas, Villa Park CA, Porsche 911 GT3 R, 56
14. 14, GT, Michael Cooper, Syosset NY, Cadillac ATS-V.R. GT3, 56
15. 2, GTA, Michael Schein, Glen Cove NY, Porsche 911 GT3 R, 56
16. 3, GTA, Frankie Montecalvo, Highlands NJ, Mercedes AMG SLS GT3, 56
17. 17, GT, Johnny O’Connell, Flowery Branch GA, Cadillac ATS-V.R. GT3, 55
18. 1, GT Cup, Alec Udell, The Woodlands TX, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, 53
19. 2, GT Cup, Sloan Urry, Park City UT, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, 53
20. 3, GT Cup, Corey Fergus, Columbus OH, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, 53
21. 4, GT Cup, Preston Calvert, Potomac MD, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, 52