Lexington, Ohio – Brett Sandberg in the No. 13 ANSA Motorsports KTM XBow GT4 captured the pole for GTS Round 13 at the Pirelli World Challenge Grand Prix of Mid-Ohio presented by Honda Racing HPD. Drivers Jade Buford, Lawson Aschenbach and Jeff Courtney rounded out the remainder of the first two rows of the competition grid.
Scott Heckert in the No. 54 SIN Cars/Racers Edge Motorsports SIN R1 GT4 managed the best qualifying time of 1:27.661 in only five laps of the session, but his times were disallowed due to an SCCA rule that prevents a pit stop during qualifying.
Current points-leader Sandberg ticked off the next fastest lap time of 1:27.722 at 92.665 mph to secure the pole. Said Sandberg, “It’s great to win the pole. The crew guys have done an excellent job all weekend with the car. The track changed a bit with the new IndyCar rubber on the surface. So we adjusted for that. And the car felt very good in qualifying. Now we just need to put it together for today’s race. This track seems to work well for the XBow. Now I’m just anxious to go racing this afternoon.”
Buford’s No. 45 SIN Cars/Racers Edge Motorsports SIN R1 GT4 clocked a lap 0.25-seconds slower than Sandberg, putting him in P2. Aschenbach, second in GTS points, took a 1:28.096-second lap at 92.272 mph that was quick enough to land him in P3 in the No. 10 Blackdog Speed Shop Chevrolet Camaro Z28.
Jeff Courtney in the No. 99 RecStuff.com/Kenda/TBA Maserati Gran Turismo managed a 1:28.119 at 92.248 mph that was good for fourth place on the grid. Martin Barkey No. 80 MBRP Sportlab Sawmill Creative KTM XBow GT4 was just a hair slower than Courtney’s in 1:28.353 at 92.004 mph to capture P5.
Teen titans Parker Chase (age 15, No. 19 Performance Motorsports Group Ginetta GT4) and Nate Stacy (age 16, No. 14 Roush Performance Road Racing Ford Mustang Boss 302) brought up the sixth and seventh places with less than .03-seconds separating their qualifying times, Chase with a 1:28.354 at 135.816 and Stacy registering a 1:28.379 lap.
Eighth place and last competitor within a one-second differential from the qualifying pole position went to Anthony Mantella, whose No. 8 Mantella Autosport KTM XBow GT4 went 1:28.429 at 91.925 mph.
With half the competitors within a one-second differential and most of the field within 1.5-seconds, Round 13 is sure to be highly competitive when the race gets underway at 5p.m. EDT on Friday. Stream the race live via MotorTrendOnDemand.com and get live timing at World-Challenge.com.
Lexington, OH – Results from Friday, Jul 29, 2016 Pirelli World Challenge Championship GTS Round 13 Qualifying Round 8, part of the Grand Prix of Mid-Ohio presented by Honda Racing.
Pos. PIC, Class, Name, Hometown, Car, Fast Time
1. 1, GTS, Brett Sandberg, Allendale NJ, KTM XBow GT4, 1:27.722
2. 2, GTS, Jade Buford, Brentwood TN, SIN R1 GT4, 1:27.972
3. 3, GTS, Lawson Aschenbach, Palm Beach Gardens FL, Chevrolet Camaro, 1:28.096
4. 4, GTS, Jeff Courtney, Milwaukee WI, MASERATI GranTurismo MC Trofeo, 1:28.119
5. 5, GTS, Martin Barkey, Huntsville QC, KTM XBow GT4, 1:28.353
6. 6, GTS, Parker Chase, New Braunfels TX, Ginetta GT4, 1:28.354
7. 7, GTS, Nate Stacy, Owasso OK, Ford Boss 302, 1:28.379
8. 8, GTS, Anthony Mantella, Toronto ON, KTM XBow GT4, 1:28.429
9. 9, GTS, Harry Gottsacker, San Antonio TX, Ginetta GT4, 1:28.785
10. 10, GTS, Jack Roush Jr, Livonia MI, Ford Boss 302, 1:28.818
11. 11, GTS, Scott Dollahite, Austin TX, Lotus Evora, 1:28.978
12. 12, GTS, Tony Gaples, Libertyville IL, Chevrolet Camaro, 1:29.392
13. 13, GTS, Mark Klenin, Lone Tree CO, MASERATI GranTurismo MC Trofeo, 1:29.403
14. 14, GTS, Jason Alexandridis, Novato CA, Aston Martin Vantage GT4, 1:29.738
15. 15, GTS, Bill Ziegler, Ponte Verdra FL, KTM XBow GT4, 1:31.224
16. 16, GTS, Scott Heckert, Ridgefield CT, SIN R1 GT4, 3:56.974