LONG BEACH, Calif. – Michael Cooper posted the fastest GT time in the first practice session of the weekend at the Replay XD Grand Prix of Long Beach presented by Cadillac, part of the 42nd Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach weekend. Martin Fuentes was fastest in GTA. The 60-minute practice session was held under sunny 73 degree temperatures.
Early on, Patrick Long, in the No. 31 EFFORT Racing Porsche 911 GT3 R went to the top of the charts with a 1:22.321 followed by Alvaro Parente, in the No. 9 K-PAX Racing McLaren 650S GT3 with a 1:23.093. In GTA, Frankie Montecalvo, in the No. 66 Dime R&D Mercedes-Benz AMG SLS GT3 posted the fastest time early on with a 1:24.060.
At the nine-minute mark Parente went to the top with a 1:20.902. Montecalvo would then go faster with a 1:22.948.
At the 12-minute mark, Long regained top spot with a fast time of 1:20.732. Parente then went back to the top with a 1:20.682.
At the 17-minute mark, Jon Fogarty in the No. 99 Gainsco Auto Insurance McLaren 650S GT3 slotted into third with a 1:21.417.
In GTA, Martin Fuentes, in the 07 Hublot/Under Armour Ferrari 458 Italia GT3 went to the top with a 1:21.873.
With 40 minutes remaining in the session, Parente bettered his time to a 1:20.450, while Fuentes posted a faster time of 1:21.648.
Montecalvo then went to the top of the GTA chart with a 1:21.203 at the 30-minute mark. Parente continued to set fastest times of the session with successive laps of 1:20.391 and 1:20.304. Four-time and defending GT Champion Johnny O’Connell, in the No. 3 Cadillac Racing Cadillac ATS-V.R. GT3 slotted into third with a 1:20.808.
With 22 minutes remaining, Parente improved to a 1:20.297, followed by Long with a 1:20.697. Montecalvo then posted a faster time with a 1:21.063 followed by Fuentes with a 1:21.133. O’Connell then posted a 1:20.504 to slot into second.
At the 14-minute mark, championship points leader Cooper in the No. 8 Cadillac Racing Cadillac ATS-V.R. GT3 then went to the top with a 1:20.017. Two minutes later, Cooper improved with a 1:19.671.
With five-minutes remaining Fuentes went to the top of GTA charts with a 1:20.538. And then with just under three minutes remaining in the session, Fogarty’s McLaren made contact with the wall through turn 8 bringing out the red flag. The session ended under red. Fogarty was not injured.
Cooper’s 1:19.671 stood as the fastest time of the session, with Parente (1:20.045) and Fogarty (1:20.086) rounding out the top three in GT. In GTA, Fuentes’ 1:20.288 topped the charts, with Montecalvo (1:21.063), and Bill Sweedler in the No. 11 Scuderia Corsa Ferrari 458 Italia (1:21.870) rounding out the top three in class. Of note, both Cooper and Parente are making their Long Beach racing debut this weekend, having not driven the historic 1.9-mile, 11-turn street circuit until Friday afternoon practice session.
“It is exciting to be the fastest in the first practice in the Cadillac ATS-V.R Coupe,” said Cooper. “I have studied the layout and put a lot of time in on the simulator to learn as much as I could about the Long Beach circuit. The team has a lot of data on the track and that also helps. When you get out there for the first time running between the walls you get a little claustrophobic. This race has a lot of history and I am looking forward to competing on it for the first time Sunday.”
Drivers next take to the track at 8:15am Pacific for a Saturday morning practice session before the 35-minute qualifying session for Sunday’s Round 5 race. Watch live timing and scoring a world-challenge.com
LONG BEACH, Calif. – Results from Friday, April 15, 2016 60-minute Pirelli World Challenge Championship GT Practice 1 at the Replay XD Grand Prix of Long Beach presented by Cadillac, part of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. Pos.. PIC, Class, Name, Hometown, Car, Fast Time
1. 1, GT, Michael Cooper, Syosset NY, Cadillac ATS-V.R. GT3, 1:19.671
2. 2, GT, Alvaro Parente, Porto Portugal, McLaren 650S GT3, 1:20.045
3. 3, GT, Jon Fogarty, Bend OR, McLaren 650S GT3, 1:20.086
4. 1, GTA, Martin Fuentes, Mexico City Mexico, Ferrari 458 Italia GT3, 1:20.288
5. 4, GT, Ryan Eversley, Atlanta GA, Acura TLX-GT, 1:20.405
6. 5, GT, Johnny O’Connell, Flowery Branch GA, Cadillac ATS-V.R. GT3, 1:20.427
7. 6, GT, Patrick Long, Manhattan Beach CA, Porsche 911 GT3 R, 1:20.427
8. 7, GT, JD Davison, Denver CO, Nissan GTR GT3, 1:20.541
9. 8, GT, Andrew Davis, Athens GA, Porsche 911 GT3 R, 1:20.558
10. 9, GT, Andrew Palmer, Los Angeles CA, Bentley Continental GT3, 1:20.824
11. 10, GT, Bryan Heitkotter, Fresno CA, Nissan GTR GT3, 1:20.833
12. 11, GT, Adderly Fong, Hong Kong, Bentley Continental GT3, 1:20.944
13. 12, GT, Kyle Marcelli, Barrie Canada, Audi R8 LMS GT3, 1:20.947
14. 2, GTA, Frankie Montecalvo, Highlands NJ, Mercedes AMG SLS GT3, 1:21.063
15. 13, GT, Michael Lewis, Laguna Beach CA, Porsche 911 GT3 R, 1:21.297
16. 14, GT, Colin Thompson, Doylestown PA, McLaren 650S GT3, 1:21.344
17. 15, GT, James Sofronas, Villa Park CA, Porsche 911 GT3 R, 1:21.408
18. 3, GTA, Bill Sweedler, Westport CT, Ferrari 458 Italia GT3, 1:21.870
19. 16, GT, Austin Cindric, Charlotte NC, McLaren 650S GT3, 1:21.963
20. 17, GT, Peter Cunningham, Milwaukee WI, Acura TLX-GT, 1:22.048
21. 4, GTA, Tim Pappas, Santa Monica CA, Dodge Viper GT3-R, 1:22.635
22. 5, GTA, Brent Holden, Newport CA, Audi R8 GTS LMS GT3, 1:23.218
23. 17, GT, Duncan Ende, Los Angeles CA, Aston Martin Vantage GT3, no time
23. 6, GTA, Jorge De La Torre, Mexico City Mexico, Aston Martin Vantage GT3, no time